outfitted with a single funnel, two masts, a single screw, and had accommodation for 15 passengers. She was built by Workman, Clark and Company, in Belfast, Ireland, and was registered in December 1920 to the Unifruitco Steam Ship Company of Glasgow. In 1931 she was transferred to the Balboa Shipping Company (United Fruit Company), and sailed under the Panamanian flag. On 23 March 1937 she was damaged by fire. On 4 February 1942, during the same streak that saw the destruction of the India Arrow, China Arrow, and the W.L. Steed, the U-103 placed a torpedo in the port side of the 325 foot-long freighter San Gil as she steamed en route from Santa Marta, Colombia to Philadelphia. The attack resulted in two fatalities, but 39 crew and one passenger were saved. Captain Koch publicly thanked the U-boat captain for allowing 25 minutes for the crew to abandon ship before commencing to shell the freighter. Today, the wreck lies in 135 feet of water, though there are several sections of intact wreckage that rises majestically 30 feet from the sand bottom. The site is contiguous though appears to be in sections, listing to starboard. The are large pieces of machinery and debris lying in the sand off the starboard side as well. The stern is intact and ominous, with many areas that can be entered and penetrated. Her wheelhouse and is a good place to search for associated artifacts.